Sunday 21st December v Prestatyn Ladies (a)

Won 4-0

Sunday 11th January v Pwllheli   (a)

Airbus Ladies FC
Next fixture Previous result
Follow us on twitter @AirbusLadies

The Airfield, Chester Road
Broughton, Flintshire, CH4 0DR


Cup finalist’s wreak revenge in first match of the season

Denbigh Town beat in Airbus Ladies 4-0 in a game very much of two halves.

The home side started off the brighter of the teams and were winning everything in midfield, giving the opposition absolutely no time on the ball. The Wingmakers were playing the ball around the pitch with an air of composure about them.

Both wingers were finding space which allowed the central midfielders to link up effectively with the attack, creating chances for several players. Denbigh’s defence were struggling to cope with the oncoming pressure and reliant upon dogged and last ditch tackles to clear their lines.

Although Airbus continued to apply force and create good opportunities they could not test the Denbigh keeper. Lees, Knox, Smith and Borley all had strong shots on goal but could not get them on target.

The home defence, when called upon were quick to clear the ball. The couple of chances that Denbigh looked to have created were called back for offside.

Airbus continued to dominate in the middle and both wing backs were pushing forward in support to help the attack

out, but the Denbigh defence remained resolute and never gave the home side an easy chance.

The game took a complete reversal of fortunes about 35 minutes in. Denbigh created their first chance from midfield, playing it through to their striker who took the ball on the turn brilliantly, knocked it out in front of her body and unleashed a sweet strike to curl it over the keeper into the top right hand corner. It was a stunning goal, which no keeper could have got to.

The goal came at the worst time for the home side and knocked the stuffing out of their stride. However, the goal reenergised the away side and gave them a new leap of faith. Denbigh started to apply pressure to the Airbus defence who began to crack under the pace of the wingers.  But they held out until half time.

It was all to play for going into the second half but the Wingmakers gave themselves an uphill task early on with some incredibly sloppy defensive errors. Twohig, Jones and Scammell allowed the winger to escape them all, who in turn played a fortuitous shot cum cross which curled into the bottom right hand corner from a seemingly impossible angle.

At two down with 40 minutes to play the home side had plenty to play for, but failed to get any grip on the ball and were left chasing shadows for much of the second period. The midfield lost its shape, allowing the Denbigh midfield to consume the pitch and dictate play from the back to the front.

The Wingmakers had a ten minute period where they collapsed into disarray which was compounded when they conceded a penalty from a corner. At three nil down the Wingmakers were left with an uphill battle, and although they found some calm amongst the storm with the Denbigh keeper having to make a smart double stop after Lees and Borley had chances. But it was too little too late and the away side finished off with their fourth after Scammell gave the ball away cheaply in the middle of the field.

The game was not one that the home side will want to spend too much time looking back on, but the first half provided some light at the end of the tunnel, with the quick smart passing and composure that the Wingmakers had begun with.

Their next fixture is away to Colwyn Bay on the 8th September where they will be hoping to pick up their first points of the season.