Sunday 21st December v Prestatyn Ladies (a)

Won 4-0

Sunday 11th January v Pwllheli   (a)

Airbus Ladies FC
Next fixture Previous result

The Airfield, Chester Road
Broughton, Flintshire, CH4 0DR

Follow us on twitter @AirbusLadies

Last minute winner stops home team from sharing the spoils

Airbus Ladies scored a goal at the death to defeat Prestatyn Ladies 2-1.

In a game full of tension and suspense with both teams going all out for the win, it was a last minute goal from Goodall

which saw the Wingmakers walking away with the three points.

With both teams having had a broken January with many cancelled games due to the adverse weather conditions they were both raring to go.

Airbus Ladies had a strong team out although were once again missing a few players as they hoped to continue their winning run. The centre back pairing of Miles and Scammell were back together for the first time since November, and Thornton started on the left wing in the absence of Prytherch. Lees and McKeogh were on the bench, with McKeogh taking

on the coaching role in Arrowsmith’s absence.

The first half was a nervy and tense one with both sides desperate to score but not willing to commit too many players forward knowing it could lead to a counter attack from the opposition. Prestatyn had plenty of pace going forward but Miles was always one step ahead of them and kept things tight at the back preventing Prestatyn from getting a shot on goal.

Hyndman was injured early on and was forced to come off with Lees replacing her. It was a like for like swap and with Lees having caused all sorts of problems down the wing against Holyhead it was a chance for her to take advantage again.

Parry was doing an excellent job in front of the defence clearing any stray balls which allowed Williams and Goodall to push forward when Airbus were on the ball. Goodall and Borley had long range efforts saved but neither side threatened either keeper in the first half.

After such a cagey first half both teams upped the tempo early on in the second half which led to more chances and inevitably more errors. The match was far more open with Airbus spreading the play out wide for Lees to take on her marker and cut inside on several occasions. Goodall and Williams created more time on the ball for themselves and played some great interlinking football which led to Borley and Goodall both going close with shots well saved by the keeper.

Prestatyn were causing problems for the Airbus defence with long balls down the wings forcing the centre backs to move

out of position to cover the wings. A couple of great interceptions prevented the Prestatyn strikers from getting through on goal.

It was the home side that took the lead with 65 minutes played. A ball over the top landed between Smith and Miles who failed to communicate clearly with each other. The Prestatyn striker could see their confusion and poked the ball past Smith into the area and delicately chipped the ball over the diving Friend. The goal was a deserved one for the striker who had fought hard for every ball.

Airbus were in no frame of mind to give up and continued to press as the Prestatyn defence began to drop deeper and deeper. The Airbus defence was playing on the half way line giving the Prestatyn team little room to manoeuvre.

The equaliser came with 15 minutes left on the clock. Great work by Williams and Lees led to a cross going into the area, Borley struck a shot which hit the goalkeeper and parried out to Goodall who in turn hit the crossbar, but the rebound fortunately fell at her feet and she tapped the ball over the line to level the score at one apiece.

The home side were being hemmed further and further into their own half with Airbus throwing everything at them. Lees was playing some great balls inside, Williams and Goodall were both having intricate exchanges but nothing was coming from their play. Parry was pushing further forward and had a long range effort blocked.

As time was ticking away it looked like the home side were going to hold out for a draw, but the Wingmakers were not content to accept one point and kept pushing in the hope that something would fall for them. Lees saw an effort flash just wide of the post and Borley saw another effort saved. But it was Goodall who stole the headlines with the winning goal. Lees struck a shot which glanced off a defender to Borley who played it to Goodall who made no mistake this time and hit her first time shot into the back of the net.

The final few seconds of the game seemed to drag on, but the final whistle was worth the wait when it was blown as Airbus remained undefeated.

Player of the match: Becky Miles

Airbus: S Friend, E Shute, H Scammell, B Miles, S Smith, C Thornton, J Goodall, E Parry, A Williams, A Hyndman, L Borley. Subs: B Lees, L McKeogh.