Sunday 21st December v Prestatyn Ladies (a)

Won 4-0

Sunday 11th January v Pwllheli   (a)

Airbus Ladies FC
Next fixture Previous result

The Airfield, Chester Road
Broughton, Flintshire, CH4 0DR

Follow us on twitter @AirbusLadies


Airbus left to rue set pieces.

Airbus will have left the match feeling like it was two points lost rather than one gained as they came from behind to draw their first match of the season 2-2 against Kinmel Bay.

The opening of a new season is always vital and everyone wants to get off to the best possible start but the spoils were shared between these two sides as neither side were able to find the winning instinct to gain the three points.

The away side dominated possession throughout the match remaining composed for the entire ninety minutes. But it was the home side that took the lead due to a fortunate corner. It was the fifth goal Airbus had conceded from a corner in the last three matches and the last thing they wanted to happen.

The goal immediately put the Wingmakers on the back foot and although they didn’t let their heads drop they were struggling to break down the resilience of the home side. Kinmel Bay revelled in taking the lead and began to control the ball in midfield.

Both teams created half chances but neither ever had any clear shots on goal. It could not have got much better for the home side ten minutes later as yet another corner looped over everyone and nestled itself in the back of the net much to the delight of the corner taker.

Airbus knew that they were far from out of the match but could not get a grip on the game to allow them to get back into it with a breakthrough. Hyndman was making some great runs down the right taking on players with ease as she dribbled round them leaving them for dead, but the final ball was not quite there and corners were as much as Airbus could make of them. Goodall played a couple of through balls which found Borley who in turn used her pace to lose her marker and had a great effort which saw her hit the post. But that was the best the away side could muster and the half time whistle was a well needed break for the team to attempt to regroup and start again.

With the break upon them the Wingmakers knew they would need to dig deep to ensure they were the first to break the deadlock in the second half if they were to stand any sort of chance of getting something from the match.

The second half began much like the first, with Airbus dominating possession but failing to do much with it in the final third. Kinmel Bay chose not to change their tactics but brought on a different style striker to try to cause problems along the Airbus back four.

Kinmel Bay remained resolute at the back and it was beginning to look like they would be not only claiming three points in the first match of the season but a clean sheet too. Goodall and Williams both tested the goalkeeper with long range efforts but the keeper was equal to the shots and dealt with them comfortably.

The pressure continued to mount in the Kinmel Bay half but the goalkeeper was rarely tested as her defence shut everything out. With just fifteen minutes to go Airbus had forgotten what it meant to give up and knew if they could just get one goal then the match had the potential to be turned on its head.

That goal finally came from a fantastic corner taken by Smith, with Goodall keeping her composure to volley firmly into the net. The game was definitely in the away team’s hand at this point and they were confident that having got one back they could get an equaliser. But with time against them they needed to get it quickly.

When the equaliser did come it came in controversial fashion with cries from the home side claiming offside as Borley brought the ball down and had the serenity to place it in the back of the net with just a couple of minutes remaining on the clock.

That was not to be the end of the action. Kinmel Bay refused to let the contentious goal trouble them. A momentary lapse in concentration by Scammell and Smith saw the home side striker through on goal but to the relief of the two centre backs the ball drifted narrowly wide.

The result was a fair one with Kinmel Bay scoring two fortunate goals but defending their lead well until Airbus’ possession finally got the breakthrough they earned. With the teams meeting again next week both will be keen to take all three points second time around.

Player of the match: Abi Hyndman

Airbus: Friend, Dolman, Smith, Scammell, Shute, Hyndman, Williams, Goodall, Matthews, McKeogh and Borley (c).