Sunday 21st December v Prestatyn Ladies (a)

Won 4-0

Sunday 11th January v Pwllheli   (a)

Airbus Ladies FC
Next fixture Previous result

The Airfield, Chester Road
Broughton, Flintshire, CH4 0DR

Follow us on twitter @AirbusLadies


Airbus grind out result in tough conditions

Airbus saw off a resolute Bethel 4-2 in windy conditions away from home in a hard fought win.

This match looked to be going in the home side’s favour as two defensive errors saw Bethel take a lead into the final thirty minutes in their first match in the Welsh league. But grit and determination saw the league leaders fight back from the depths of defeat to scramble to victory.

Starting with a similar line up to their victory the previous week, Smith and Knox came in to replace the absent Lees and Pearson with Fuller and Twohig starting on the bench.

It was a scrappy encounter throughout and although the Wingmakers dominated possession from start to finish they never imposed the threat they have become used to.

Airbus went one up within ten minutes with their first penalty of the season. The referee made no hesitation in pointing to the spot as Borley was hauled down to the ground by the clumsy centre back. Goodall walked up to the spot and slotted the ball effortlessly, low into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Whether it was complacency or ignorance the Wingmakers looked like a team who thought they were going to walk away with the victory. This was far from being true as minutes later Bethel had equalised after Scammell made a horrific error on the edge of the box and left Friend with no chance. It was the worst time to have conceded with Bethel having created nothing beforehand but it reiterated to Airbus that they could not afford any lapse in concentration.

The match continued in the same vein with Airbus dominating control of the match but failing to turn that authority into goals. Almost all of the away side’s play was down the left flank with Matthews seeing plenty of the ball.

The game was fraught with mistakes all over the field with everyone rushing their passes and not taking the time that they had on the ball to the best of their advantage. Knox and Hyndman were both left in acres of space but the ball rarely reached them. But when it did Hyndman was able to get some strong crosses into the area.

Borley had one chance through on goal but could only shoot straight at the keeper. Late on in the half Williams whipped a ball across the face of goal causing momentary panic amongst the Bethel defenders as they watched in despair but Borley could not quite get a foot on it and the ball slipped just wide of the post.

The tactics of the Wingmakers were failing to break down the Bethel defence and although they were getting shots on target they were resorted to hitting them from range and rarely tested the keeper.

The second half continued in the same manner as the first with Airbus having all the possession but not being able to convert their chances into goals.

Just minutes into the second forty-five it could not have got much worse for the away side as a long punt down the pitch from the goalkeeper bounced several times before landing at the feet of the Bethel striker who made no hesitations and smashed the ball over Friend.

At 2-1 down Airbus may well have let heads drop and given up on a game that was theirs for the taking, but no one in the side was prepared to let that happen and everyone took it upon themselves to turn the match on its head.

The options grew as both Hyndman and Williams became more involved in the match. Goodall continued to control the midfield and spread play, but the shots were not hitting the back of the net and time seemed to be running out.

With twenty five minutes to go the away side were still down a goal but were spending all their time in the oppositions half. Hyndman and Goodall were playing some great one-twos down the left flank, with one passage of play finally paying off. Hyndman cut inside and played the ball inside the area where Goodall turned and shot to get the equaliser the Wingmakers rightfully deserved.

Not content with a point the away side continued to press and it became only a matter of time before the third arrived. Goodall got her and Airbus’ third several minutes later with a similarly worked goal, this time Hyndman, Williams and Borley all had a part to play before Goodall hit the back of the net.

The final few minutes were a nervous few with the long ball still causing problems but Airbus settled the score on the counter attack with Goodall turning provider as Hyndman ran half the pitch to score low and hard past the keeper.

The final whistle eventually went with Bethel disappointed but not disheartened that they had not managed to hold for at least a draw. For Airbus it was just rewards after all their possession and hard work.

With a week off for both teams they will be raring to get back on the pitch to allow the football to do the talking.

Player of the match: Becky Miles

Airbus: Friend, Smith, Miles, Scammell, Shute, Hyndman, Williams, Goodall, Matthews, Borley (c) and Knox. Subs: Twohig and Fuller.